Visiting / Using:
Please Note: Special Collections & Archives (SCA) has different hours and rules than the rest of the library. SCA is located on the lower level of the Merrill-Cazier Library in Room 35.
SCA normal hours:
Monday, Thursday, Friday – 9 to 5
Tuesday, Wednesday – 9 to 7
(Call to confirm - (435) 797-8248)
|Saturdays in SCA for Fall 2016
|September 10, 17, 24|
|October 1, 8, 15, 22, 29|
|November 5, 12, 19|
SCA special hours:
Wednesday Nov. 22 - 8 to 5 -- Thanksgiving Break
If you are planning to do extensive research, contact us in advance and we will prepare materials for your visit.
Please visit http://www.usu.edu/map/ for a campus map.
Using the Reading Room:
SCA operates under a closed-stack environment and as such materials may not be checked out and must be read in the Tanner Reading Room. First time users must complete Registration Agreement form (good for 5 years) with a picture ID.
- Using the card catalog or electronic cataloging system
- Identify call numbers for desired items
- Fill out the Blue Paging Card.
- Only three items may be used at a time
- (e.g. three books, or three folders).
- Only one document box may be in use at a time.
- Personal belongings such as:
- briefcases, backpacks
- and coats must be stored in the lockers provided.
- A staff attendant will give you a lock.
- For note taking, only PENCIL is allowed. No pens.
- Exercise great care in handling fragile items; white gloves may be required & provided by staff.
- No food, candy, or beverages allowed in the Tanner Reading Room.
- The use of cell phones is not allowed. To make or receive a call, please exit the Tanner Reading Room.
Scanning and copies:
A scanner has been provided free of charge for patron use (requires a USB drive: if you do not have a USB drive, SCA can provide one after a small donation). Scanning items requires filling out a photocopy request form and adherence to copyright law limits. Please read posted copyright warning. Photocopies can be made by staff for a small charge, though requests may not be filled immediately.
- A single image can be ordered gratis with a mailing address.
- Negatives can't be photocopied.
- Copy orders placed in the reading room for pick up are $.10 each.
- Copy orders that requre mailing are $.25 per image ($5 minimum).
- Scans smaller than 8 meg can be e-mailed, one at a time. This may limit resolution with tiff files.
- Scans bigger than 8 meg will need to be saved to a CD, thumb-drive, or other device.
- Free low-res scans are not available.
- For negatives scanning or printing are the only options.
- Prints as large as 20x24 can be made.
- Printing quality is very good from our Epson 7800 Stylus Pro model.
- Prints can be made in color or black and white.
- 4x5 = $6, 5x7 = $8, 8x10 = $10, 11x14 = $16, 16x20 = $26, 20x24 = $30 (Same-day service not available, price does not include shipping.)
- Commercial/Business Use Fee: add $25 per image.
- Rush Orders: Add additional 50%
- Additional charge for postage outside United States and/or bulk orders
- Postal copy orders: $5 minimum and 25¢ per page
- Oversized Copies - $2 per page plus any additional vendor charges (Same-day service not available, price does not include shipping.)
- $5 per scan (price includes CD)
- Scans made by staff smaller than 8 MB can be emailed one at a time (limited resolution on tiff files)
- Copy orders placed in the Reading Room for pick-up are $0.10 each
- Copy orders that require postal mail are $0.25 per image with $5 minimum charge
- Digital printing: Prints in black and white or color
- 4 x 5 = $6 / 5 x 7 = $8 / 8 x 10 = $10 / 11 x 14 = $16 / 16 x 20 = $26 / 20 x 24 = $30
- price does not include shipping
- same-day service not available
- additional charge for postage outside US and bulk orders
- Commercial / Business use fee: add $0.25 per image
- Rush orders: Add 50%
Some materials may not be duplicated due to age, fragility and/or copyright. Check the Digital Library to see if requested material has already been digitized.